Establishing Legal Parent/Child Relationship
Adoptions may proceed through adoption agencies or personally, through a family member. And the proceeding may differ based upon who handles the adoption, the child’s age, and whether there is a familial relationship. Regardless of the originating procedures, an adoption must be finalized by a local court judge (or “surrogate” in some jurisdictions) handing down a court order after a hearing. An official decree will then be issued to the adoptive parents and in many cases they may obtain a birth certificate where they are legally displayed as the parents.
Adoption rules and laws are not uniform and therefore, vary from state to state. However, there does exist a general legal consensus that in order to adopt, the prospective adult adoptive parent must prove to be a fit parent. Although it is still more difficult for a single person or a same-sex couple to adopt than a married couple, laws and attitudes are gradually evolving.
Adoption Law - US
- ABA - Adoption Committee
- Adoption Law - Overview Cornell
- Adoption Laws by State - Child Adoption Laws.com
- Child Citizenship Act of 2000
- Human Rights Campaign - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Adoption Rights
- Indian Child Welfare Act
- Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC)
- LGBT rights in the United States - Wikipedia
- Uniform Adoption Act (1994)
Organizations Related to Adoption Law - U.S.
Articles on HG.org Related to Adoption Law
- Gay Adoption in GeorgiaAfter banning Gay Marriage with a constitutional amendment in 2004, Georgia joined 15 other states in drafting bills to outlaw Gay Adoption in 2006 (USA Today). Luckily, it didn’t pass. However, nothing in Georgia Family Law explicitly says that you can adopt either.
- Adoption in the UAESadly a great number of children are abandoned in the United Arab Emirates each year. Most likely this is as a result of young mothers being fearful of the repercussions of bearing a child outside wedlock. It is a criminal offence in the United Arab Emirates to have a sexual relationship outside marriage.
- Adoption - UkraineThe international adoption process in Ukraine is quite a bit different from that of other countries. First, Ukrainian law does not allow pre-identification of children for international adoption. In other words, unlike other countries, you will not receive a child referral before traveling. Instead, you will be invited to travel to Ukraine after your dossier and paperwork have been received and processed. Once in Ukraine, you will be shown several children to choose which child to adopt.
- Legal Requirements for Child Adoption and Legal Guardianship in UgandaAdoption is a legal process whereby a person permanently assumes the parental rights and responsibilities for a child from his or her biological parents. Legal guardianship is a legal process whereby a person is appointed by court to take care of a child. The guardian has the parental rights and responsibilities but such rights and responsibilities the guardian has over the child are not permanent.
- Adoption in the Philippines: A Legal GuideThis article is an overview on the legal requirements of adoption process in the Philippines. The Applicable Laws - To know more about adoption in the Philippines it is equally important to be aware of the laws governing the adoption process. These laws are Republic Act 8552, known as Domestic Adoption Act of 1998, and Republic Act 8043, known as Inter-Country Adoption Act of 1995.
- Choosing a Family Law Attorney - What are the Things to Speculate?The need for hiring a lawyer is rising these days, given that different circumstances that surface. Given the massive choices available on the net and in local markets, persons have to develop advance decision making skills to ascertain choice of the right lawyer.
- What Probate Courts DoMany people are unaware of probate courts and what they do. If you've begun your estate planning efforts you may know that probate courts are responsible for supervising the estate administration process, even though they also do a lot more. Though each state court has different responsibilities, let’s take a look at some of the more common matters that probate courts handle.
- What Things to Consider for a Family Law AttorneyIf you need the help of a family law attorney, you must consider some important things in this regard. These things include accessing a right lawyer, way of executing of the lawyer, if you are getting all the relevant information and aspects regarding your case and firm professional ethics etc. After considering all these points, you can definitely find the best family law attorney that will sort out your concern in highly effective way.
- Ten Great Websites for Children Facing Difficulties with Adoption or Foster Care SystemAdoption and foster care arrangements can be terrific alternative for children with troubled backgrounds. After all, children living in these types of arrangements may be blessed with a loving family. If you are looking for insights one these family situations, you've come to the right place.
- Foreigners Adopting in ThailandForeigners who want to adopt a child in Thailand must understand that adoption is processed through the Child Adoption Center of the Department of Social Development and Welfare (DSDW). The DSDW is the sole government agency that is tasked to facilitate the adoption process in Thailand.
- All Family Law Related Articles
Articles written by attorneys and experts worldwide discussing legal aspects related to Family Law including: adoption, alimony, child support and custody, child visitation, collaborative law, divorce, domestic violence, elder law, juvenile crime, juvenile law, juvenile probation, paternity, pre-nuptial agreement, separation.