Top Six Reason You Should Hire a Personal Injury Attorney
What you don't know can hurt you if you are injured in an Accident.
I get a lot of potential client come in who have tried to settle their personal injury case with an insurance company themselves. Usually, they cannot get a decent offer from the insurance company (shock!) or they have said or done something which has permanently damaged their case. Here are seven good reasons why, if you are injured in an accident, you should hire a personal injury attorney:
< br>6) No Win, No Pay. Almost all personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. If they don't win, you don't pay;
5) Say What? If you talk to an insurance company adjuster, the call is usually recorded. Anything you say will be used against you. Adjusters are very good at cherry-picking out one or two damaging sentences out of a 30 minute conversation. If you have an attorney, let him do the talking. He knows what to say, and what not to say, plus since he won't be a witness, he can't be cross-examined on anything he says;
4) Lien on Me: Odds are once you settle a case, you will have to pay back liens to doctors, hospitals, medical insurers, etc. You could be left with nothing. An experienced personal injury attorney can tell you which liens are not legitimate, and can probably negotiate down the legitimate ones;
3) Which Doctor?: Believe it or not, there are some doctors out there that are who are in the pockets of the insurance industry. An experienced personal injury attorney can advise you as to which doctors to avoid;
2) Who, What, When & Where? A personal injury lawyer knows all the deadlines involved in a personal injury case, knows what is necessary to settle or try the case, and knows who to contact to get the case settled; and
1) Show Me the Money. Ever wonder why insurance adjusters advise you that you do not need an attorney? It's because they know that studies have shown that people represented by attorneys get larger settlements than those that don't. They would rather deal with an injured person unfamiliar with the law than with an experienced attorney.
If you are injured in an accident, please contact a personal injury attorney in your area to make sure you don't make a mistake that could literally cost you thousands of dollars.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Norman Miller, Attorney
Norman Miller has been practicing law for nearly 30 years. He is the owner and founder of Miller Legal Services, LLC. He began his legal career in the public sector, working for the Jones County District Attorney's Office, and later the Fulton County Solicitor's Office, where he obtained invaluable trial experience prosecuting criminal cases.
In 1989, Mr. Miller began representing major insurance companies such as Liberty Mutual, Wausau, One Beacon and Prudential, adding 18 years of experience defending personal injury cases. Mr. Miller knows how insurance companies and their adjusters operate and knows how to get an optimum settlement for you. If your case should need to go to trial, Mr. Miller has tried more than 100 jury trials in his career, with a success rate of well over 90%.
Copyright Miller Legal Services, LLC
More information about Miller Legal Services, LLC
Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication, it is not intended to provide legal advice as individual situations will differ and should be discussed with an expert and/or lawyer. For specific technical or legal advice on the information provided and related topics, please contact the author.