Portland, Oregon's 10 Most Dangerous Intersections
If you live in Portland, OR you need to know which intersections to avoid - the most dangerous intersections for accidents and injuries. According to a study conducted by the Pamplin Media Group, these are the top 10 most dangerous areas for driving in Portland.
1. SE Powell Blvd. and SE 82nd Ave. In 2009, a woman entered the intersection incorrectly and ended up driving her car into the side of a building on the corner of this notorious junction.
2. SE Division St. and 122nd Ave. SE Division Street has been the scene of a number of fatal accidents at or near the intersection with 122nd Avenue, including in March, 2007; January, 2003, and September, 2002, and seems particularly lethal for cyclists. Two cyclists were victims of hit-and-run accidents on SE Division Street in the first five days of 2011 alone.
3. SE Division St. and SE 82nd Ave. In March, 2006, this was the scene of a fatal accident, and 82nd Avenue has a notorious record of drivers running red lights, causing multi-vehicle pile ups.
4. SE Stark St. and SE 112th Ave. Drivers beware! Nowhere along SE Stark Street can be counted on as being a safe place for people in cars, on bikes or afoot. In September, 2011, a woman ran a red light at this junction, hit a patrol car and was thrown from her own vehicle. On July 4th, 2007, a man was killed in the crosswalk of the same intersection. Less than 24 hours later, a two-car collision less than 50 feet from the intersection sent two people to the hospital.
5. NE Halsey and NE 122nd Ave. October seems to be a bad month to enter this particular intersection, with fatalities registered for both October, 2001, and October, 2003.
6. NE Glisan and NE 122nd Ave. In August of this year, a cyclist was seriously injured when his bike collided with a Kia Sportage as it entered this infamous junction. Two years ago, in August, 2009, a man driving another Kia Sportage deliberately reversed his car into a cyclist. In the same month, a cyclist was killed here.
7. SE Powell and SE 122nd Ave. Fatalities have been recorded on or near this intersection from December, 2000; March, 2004, and May, 2007.
8. SE Powell and 174th Ave. Among the many accidents which have led to serious injuries at or near this intersection was a hit-and-run in March of this year.
9. SE Powell Blvd. and 39th Ave. In February, 2010, a 93-year-old lady died trying to cross the busy intersection.
10. SE Powell and 92nd Ave. In January, 2002, a driver was killed in this intersection. In May 2008, a pedestrian crossing SE Powell was hit with such force they were thrown about 60 feet.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Sean DuBois and Joshua Shulman
Joshua Shulman and Sean DuBois are partners with Shulman DuBois LLC. Shulman DuBois is a premier personal injury law firm in Portland, Oregon. Specializing in client care, each case that our firm takes is treated with personal attention. We pride ourselves on communicating with, and educating, our clients at all times.
Copyright Shulman DuBois LLC
More information about Shulman DuBois LLC
Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication, it is not intended to provide legal advice as individual situations will differ and should be discussed with an expert and/or lawyer. For specific technical or legal advice on the information provided and related topics, please contact the author.