Personal Injury Cases – Each One is Different
Personal injury cases can have a myriad of circumstances and situations associated with them. It takes the long-standing and varied experience of an established law firm to understand the subtle differences from one case to another. It is this discerning quality you need to look for when deciding which law firm in Las Vegas may be ideally suited to handling your personal injury case.
To give you an idea of how different personal injury cases can be, take a look at what type of issues may be included under personal injury law:
• Auto accidents;
• Injuries in casinos / hotels / restaurants—quite a number in Las Vegas;
• Hit and run cases;
• Air show accidents;
• Industrial accidents;
• Holiday shopping injuries—yes, those Boxing Day stampedes you hear about in the news are very real!;
• Injury from a botched plastic surgery;
• Injury caused by a defective product and/or inadequate instructions on safe usage;
• Street racing accidents;
• Taxicab and bus accidents;
• Drunk driving injuries and fatalities;
• Pedestrian accidents;
• Nursing home abuse;
• Brain injury;
• Post-traumatic stress related injuries.
Costs for Personal Injury Cases Can Be Handled on a Contingency Basis
Don’t avoid seeking legal help for personal injury cases because you think the costs are prohibitive; they are not. The initial consultation with an attorney at Greenman, Goldberg, Raby, Martinez Law Firm, for example, is free. This free consultation is the opportunity for the attorneys and clients to explore all legal angles and implications related to the case at hand in order to determine a strategy and pricing.
Some common questions the lawyer will address at the start may be:
• When and how did the injury occur?
• Who witnessed the injury?
• What does the client hope to achieve from legal action?
• Who is the intended defendant in the case and what is his or her involvement?
A good attorney will also offer some insights at this stage about how long it can take to pursue legal action, what resources must be sought, how much court time is likely to be involved, approximate witness fees and cost of filing the claim. As a client you should also inquire about the Las Vegas personal injury attorney’s hourly rate and take that into account along with the total number of hours estimated to pursue the case.
Ask if the law firm will take the case on a contingency basis. If you win, the attorney is given a percentage of the settlement, but if you lose the case, the attorney will not charge you. Be aware that most attorneys will only take a case on a contingency basis if chances of winning are strong. This contingency fee system works well in personal injury cases because:
• Often, injured parties are unable to work and they cannot afford to pay an hourly fee.
• Legal assistance becomes available to everyone regardless of financial status.
• Allows the true, strong cases to come to court and filters out claims that could possibly be settled out of court.
• Risk is equally distributed among and shared by the client and the law firm.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Greenman, Goldberg, Raby and Martinez
Having begun as a general practice 4 decades ago, Greenman, Goldberg, Raby and Martinez now practices primarily in personal injury, worker's compensation and social security. Years of experience in a wide variety of legal matters makes us one of the best known law firms in Nevada. Specializing in injury cases, we have served our clients all over Las Vegas, Henderson and all across Southern Nevada.
Copyright Greenman, Goldberg, Raby & Martinez
More information about Greenman, Goldberg, Raby & Martinez
Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication, it is not intended to provide legal advice as individual situations will differ and should be discussed with an expert and/or lawyer. For specific technical or legal advice on the information provided and related topics, please contact the author.