Bizarre American Sex Crimes Laws
Provided by HG.org
Every state is responsible for passing laws regarding local standards for moral conduct. As a result, each state has enacted its own laws regarding sex crimes. Most are common to every jurisdiction, such as laws prohibiting rape, sexual contact with minors, and public exposure. But some laws are so unique and so inexplicable that they are worth review.
It is worth noting that while these laws are on the books, they are usually not enforced. Moreover, some are local ordinances while others are state statutes, so the authority to enforce many of them may not be legally sufficient. So, if you find out about someone doing one of these things, you may be wasting your time going to the authorities or trying to use it against your ex in a divorce case. Still, it is fun to see what issues have generated so much concern to law makers that they actually passed laws about these things.
In almost every state, it remains illegal to commit adultery (i.e., sex with a married person that is not one's spouse). Most states also outlaw sodomy (anal intercourse). Public nudity is generally illegal, as well, though what constitutes nudity varies widely, meaning in some instances women can go topless and in others even men must wear shirts!
By state, some of the most entertaining laws follow:
1. Sex toys are banned.
2. Men are banned from attempting to seduce "a chaste woman by means of temptation, arts, deception, flattery or a promise of marriage."
It is illegal for either partner to reach climax before the other during foreplay.
A law forbids any "private sexual behavior between consenting adults."
1. Two people cannot commit "unusual acts" together.
2. It is illegal to have sexual relations with a porcupine.
3. It an offense to shower in the nude.
Sexual intercourse between unmarried couples is illegal.
Not allowed to engage in any type of public display of affection for more than 18 minutes.
Illegal to have sex on your wedding day if you are fishing or hunting in Oblong.
Oral sex is banned.
1. There is a 5 minute time limit to making out.
2. A man in Ames cannot take more than three swallows of beer while holding his wife in his arms in bed.
A woman cannot marry the same man three times in some Kentucky townships.
You can streak as long as you can prove to a court beyond a doubt that you had no "lascivious intent."
It is illegal to kiss for more than 1 second in Halethorpe.
1. Male drivers in Detroit are banned from “ogling” women.
2. It is illegal to serenade your girlfriend in Kalamazoo.
1. Sleeping naked is illegal.
2. It is illegal for men to have intimate sexual relationships with a live fish (apparently it is still technically for women to, however).
Men cannot become sexually aroused in public.
Couples sleeping at a hotel must wear the clean, cotton nightshirt provided by the hotel, even when they are having sex.
Couples in Carlsbad can have sex in their parked car during their lunch break, as long as the curtains are drawn.
If you are a member of the Nevada legislature, you cannot conduct business while the legislature is in session wearing a penis costume.
1. Women cannot be seen wearing "body hugging clothing."
2. Women can go topless in public, unless it is for "business" reasons.
1. It is an offense to have sex in a graveyard.
2. If you are unmarried and you and your lover register yourselves as a "Mr. and Mrs." when checking into a motel, then you may legally be considered husband and wife.
Husbands in Willowdale can are fined for talking dirty during intercourse, but their wives can say whatever they please.
Women in Dyersburg cannot call a man for a date.
Flirting is banned in San Antonio.
Sexual positions beyond missionary are illegal.
Sex with an animal is perfectly legal for men, as long as the animal weighs less than 40 pounds.
Illegal for a man to fire his gun in Connersville when his lover reaches climax.
Sex in a walk-in meat freezer is banned in Newcastle.
Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication, it is not intended to provide legal advice as individual situations will differ and should be discussed with an expert and/or lawyer. For specific technical or legal advice on the information provided and related topics, please contact the author.