Compensation for Vehicle Accident Victims in Cyprus
One of the major challenges following a road accident is recovering damages for sustained injuries.
Any user of the road, being a driver, passenger, cyclist or pedestrian, is entitled to compensation for sustained injuries, provided that the accident was the fault of someone else. A victim or the victim’s family may be entitled to damages of several types, including pain and suffering, loss of amenities, past and future lost earnings, hospital and medical expenses, real property damage, out of pocket expenses etc.
The legal framework applicable in Cyprus is protective to victims of road traffic accidents, through provisions of compulsory insurance for third party liability and additional safeguards. Be that as it may, trying to deal with insurance companies, handling extensive paperwork and getting a fair settlement is an overwhelming task for someone already dealing with a serious injury. Most individuals are not equipped to deal with these details following a serious accident and may not actively pursue their rights, thus losing occasionally substantial compensation awards.
In road traffic accidents, acting quickly is always important. The following is basic preliminary advice for persons involved in traffic accidents in Cyprus:
• Regardless of how minor you think the accident is, always report it to the police.
• Write down names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses in case you need them later.
• Call your insurance agent and your insurance company immediately for further instructions. If you do not report the accident, the insurance company may deny payment of any claims subsequently filed against you.
• Document your injuries early, get competent medical treatment and take photographs in the hospital, or when you get home.
• In order to protect your legal rights following a serious injury or death due to a road traffic accident, it is wise to promptly obtain legal advice, so as to allow full investigation of the claim, observation of important physical evidence and tracing witnesses and other evidential material. Do not sign any statement or other document without consulting a lawyer.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: © Harris Kyriakides & Associates
Harris Kyriakides & Associates, Advocates, Lawyers & Legal Consultants, is a leading full-service law firm in Larnaca, Cyprus. Established in 1976, the law firm is widely acknowledged and nationally recognized as being in the top tier of law firms in Cyprus.
Copyright Harris Kyriakides
More information about Harris Kyriakides
Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication, it is not intended to provide legal advice as individual situations will differ and should be discussed with an expert and/or lawyer. For specific technical or legal advice on the information provided and related topics, please contact the author.