Catastrophic Injury Law
Catastrophic Injuries - Catastrophic injury means “consequences of an injury that permanently prevent an individual from performing any gainful work.” A catastrophic injury or illness usually occurs suddenly and without warning and can leave a person suffering from permanent disabilities for the rest of his/her life. Catastrophic injuries are any injuries that have serious, long-term effects on the victim. Catastrophic injuries can often put serious stress on the victim's family because they may need constant supervision or assistance for the rest of their lives, as well as a lifetime of rehabilitation and medical bills.
Catastrophic injuries can be caused by any number of different circumstances, and are considered catastrophic, due to the enormous impact they have on the lives of the individuals who experience them. A catastrophic injury or illness very often causes severe disruption to the central nervous system, such as spinal cord injuries or severe burn injuries, which in turn affects many other systems of the body. Some of the most common catastrophic injuries include: serious head trauma; accidental amputation; multiple bone fracture; eye injury; shoulder injury; foot injury; back injury; neck injury; brain injury; severe burns; organ damage; spinal cord and neurological disorders, which can result in paralysis; paraplegia; and quadriplegia. Catastrophic injury settlements seek to compensate victims for these lifelong disabilities.
What is Catastrophic Injury Law? If a catastrophic injury was caused by the negligent or intentional act of another, or by a dangerous or defective product, a personal injury claim by the victim will be an integral factor in determining his/her future quality of life, including the quality of the medical care and other support he/she will receive. Because of the huge financial implications a catastrophic injury has, one of the most important aspects of bringing a personal injury claim is the determination of the value of such a claim.
Legislatures throughout the country have imposed caps on "non-economic" damages, which can be quite low. A catastrophic injury lawyer can help recover compensation for the damages that the victim or his/her loved one has experienced, including: lost wages; loss of enjoyment of life; mental anguish; pain and suffering; lost future wages; permanent disability; and medical bills.
Know Your Rights!
Articles About Catastrophic Injury Law
- Firefighters Face Injuries on the JobFirefighters put their lives on the line every day to help keep communities safe. There is no question that the job requires one to be dedicated, focused, and brave. Firefighters are at high risk for getting injured on the job and the length of time to recover from such injuries varies from incident to incident.
- Increased Accident Risk during Winter StormsWinter weather is expected to impact the Philadelphia area this week. Snow, sleet, and ice may make it difficult and dangerous to get around. Philadelphia winter storms are often followed by a brief thawing and then refreezing which creates icy roads, sidewalks, and parking lots if they are not properly treated.
- FDA Issues Warning for Dangerous Surgical ToolsThe Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently issued a warning that power morcellators used in laparoscopic hysterectomies and surgeries to remove uterine fibroids can increase a woman’s risk of developing uterine cancer.
- MorningStar Farms Undeclared Peanut Allergen RecallMorningStar Farms has issued a recall of Spicy Black Bean Burgers and Chipotle Black Bean Burgers due to an undeclared peanut allergen that may be present in the products.
- New Technology For Diagnosing Brain InjuriesResearchers at NYU Langone Medical Center have developed a new technology for detecting and assessing brain injuries. The new technology detects the eye movements of patients while they watch music videos for less than four minutes. While viewing the video, a patient’s ratio of horizontal to vertical eye movements is measured.
- Asian Spice Found to be Effective in Fight Against MesotheliomaIn a recent study published in Clinical Cancer Research, a group of researchers from Ohio’s Case Western Reserve University and the German Georg Spayer Haus found that Curcumin, a commonly used spice in Asia, helps to slow down the progression of mesothelioma when combined with amino acids. The study brings new hope to patients fighting the battle against malignant mesothelioma.
- Women with Mesothelioma are Living LongerResearchers from Mount Sinai Health System and the Department of Population Health at North Shore Long Island Jewish Hospital recently reported some interesting findings on gender and mesothelioma in the Annals of Thoracic Surgery. The study examined records of 14,200 mesothelioma patients who were diagnosed with mesothelioma from 1973 to 2009. Of these cases, 22% were women.
- What Parents Should Know about the Danger of Scooters and Riding ToysScooters and riding toys are still big hits among children when it comes to gifts for birthdays and the holidays. However, new research is showing that these toys can be extremely dangerous as well. According to a study published last month in the journal Clinical Pediatrics, ride-on toys such as scooters, wagons, tricycles and motor-powered vehicles such as Barbie Jeeps, are responsible for a growing number of children's injuries and emergency room visits.
- Environmental Claims LawEnvironmental claims law is highly specialized and if a person is seeking to build a case and potentially seek damages for issues, a qualified and experienced attorney in the field of environmental claims law is a must.
- Super Uber Deal-BreakerOur major Uber ride-sharing concern is the issue of liability insurance coverage, not only for the Uber passenger; but also for pedestrians and occupants of other vehicles which might be involved in a crash with a Uber car. Even if the Uber passenger doesn't care about insurance coverage for themselves, does the Uber customer want to be a good citizen? If so, and we sure do hope that being a good citizen is something to strive for, then we all need to seriously weigh the Uber pros and cons.
- All Personal Injury Law Articles
Catastrophic Injury Law – US
- Catastrophic Injury Litigation - Wikipedia
Catastrophic injuries can be physically, emotionally and financially devastating. Victims and their families may be able to obtain compensation through a personal injury claim. This legal guide offers information on defining catastrophic injuries, types, causes, and how an attorney can help.
- CDC - Injury, Violence and Safety
Welcome to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. For over 60 years, CDC has been dedicated to protecting health and promoting quality of life through the prevention and control of disease, injury, and disability. We are committed to programs that reduce the health and economic consequences of the leading causes of death and disability, thereby ensuring a long, productive, healthy life for all people.
- United States Department of Labor - State Occupational Injuries, Illnesses, and Fatalities
State data presenting the number and frequency of work-related injuries, illnesses, and fatalities are available from two BLS programs: nonfatal cases of work-related injuries and illnesses that are recorded by employers under the Occupational safety and Health Administration's (OSHA's) recordkeeping guidelines are available for 46 States and Territories from the BLS Survey of Occupational Injuries and Illnesses (SOII); fatal cases of work-related injuries are available for all States, Territories, and New York City under a separate program, the BLS Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries (CFOI).