Changing Legal Job - Quitting your Legal Employment
HG.org Legal Employment Center
Leaving Your Legal Job
- Alternative Careers for JD's
Occasionally, lawyers find themselves at a crossroads in their careers. They reach the conclusion that the practice of law no longer interests them, which raises the question about what they can do with their law degrees besides practicing law.
- Alternative Legal Careers
How to search for career opportunities outside the legal field.
- Creating a Satisfying Second Act in Your Legal Career
Attorneys are widely perceived as successful in life and many would affirm their satisfaction with their careers. But lawyers who can claim they “couldn’t be happier” are rare, and far more common are those who don’t take time to consider how making changes might yield greater satisfaction.
- Law Students Demand More from the Profession
After the better part of a decade in post-law school employment, you might find yourself asking, "Is this all there is?"
- Leaving a Law Job Without Leaving a Bad Taste
Some things to consider when leaving your legal job.
- Leaving your Legal Career Far Behind
These women went into the law for all of the right reasons -- and some wrong ones -- but then listened to that inner voice.
- Quitting Your Job - About.com
People quit their jobs for a variety of reasons. These reasons include a lack of advancement opportunities, they want more money, or simply because they are unhappy. Find out how to decide when to leave your employer and how to do it diplomatically.
- Resignation Letter Template
Resignation letter templates, formats, examples, samples and writing tips. Includes resignation letter samples and a resignation letter template that you may download for personal use. Also called a letter of resignation.
Losing your Job
- 100 Tips, Tools, and Resources to Help You Survive Without a Job
At some point in their life, everyone has to deal with losing a job. The below sites are essential resources for those who need help with dealing with unemployment, getting expert advice, as well as preparing for the search for the next employer.
- 8 Strategies for Bouncing Back from Job Loss
Actions you can take to get back to work.
It hurts to lose your job, but developing a clear job search strategy will help ease the pain.
- Fired: How to Handle a Termination or Being Fired
What to do when you get fired? Some tips on getting started.
- How to Deal With Losing Your Job
Few of us are immune to the possibility of losing our jobs, but when a redundancy notice arrives, it can still be a shocking experience
- How to Do a Job Interview After Being Fired
Most people regard getting fired as a black mark on their resume. However, many people who hire and fire everyday, know that they have released good people who were a bad fit for their company.
- I've been fired! Now what?
FAQ on losing your job.
- What To Do If You Lose Your Job
The company you work for is going through some rough, uncertain times, and you learn that your job may be in jeopardy. What should you do?
- Your Rights If You Lose Your Job
Information regarding your rights if you lose your job.
Legal Career Change
- Career Change for Lawyers in a Global Economy
Advice on the steps to take to make a career change.
- Developing Your Legal Career
You’re thinking about advancing your career. What would you like to be doing in five or ten years? Whatever your ambition, now is the time to build a foundation for the future.
- Exploring Career Changes: Services Available To Attorneys In Transition
This handout focuses on the private coaching services available to lawyers to assist with a career transition and also offers suggestions on free alternative sources of help.
- Is it Time to Make a Change?
Where are you in your career right now? Which road do you plan to travel down next? Advice on how to make the decision for a change.
- Roadmap to Attorney Career Changes
Some thoughts on career change for lawyers.
- Job-Seeker Relocation Resources
Collection of the best relocation and moving tools and resources to assist job-seekers who are considering relocating.
- Moving Your Career to Another City
Before you relocate, it is important to distinguish the types of legal professionals that are likely to have the most success in relocating from those who will not have success.
- New City, New Job: How to Conduct a Long-Distance Job Search
How do you go about landing a job in a new locale when your current location is far from your destination?
- Relocating to a New City
Many lawyers may find themselves in the position where they will have to relocate during some period of their career. Relocation may be necessary for family reasons, to find employment in your desired field or to return home after having attended law school in a different city. Either way there are a few things that one needs to take into consideration when relocating and looking for legal employment.
Advice on relocating.
- Should I Stay or Should I Go?
What to do when your firm decides to relocate.
Alternative Legal Work Options
- Advice and Testimonials from Law Graduates Who Chose Not to Practice Law
Career alternatives for lawyers.
- Better on Balance?
Attorneys employed in law firms seek in-house positions because of the type of work, to be part of a strategic decision-making team, to have a proactive role in counseling clients, and, many say, to have a better quality of life.
- Jobs for Lawyers: Alternatives to Practicing Law
There are good news for the lawyer pursuing alternative work arrangements, read this article to find out.
- Overcoming the Stigmas of Alternative Work Arrangements
The struggle to balance career and family is not a new problem, but one that many employers have recently started to address and implement policies about.
- The Case Against Being Trapped in the Law
Some of the common myths that keep lawyers feeling trapped in their jobs - myths that need to be debunked.
Legal Articles Related to Employment and Labor
- Industrial Tribunal Decision – Maria C. Debono vs Foster Clark Products – Injury Leave - Unfair DismissalOn the 4th June 2013 the Industrial Tribunal, following a claim for unfair dismissal filed by Mrs Maria Concetta Debono, awarded a decision in her favor and ordered her re-instatement with Foster Clark Products Limited and the payment of wages for the duration of her unemployment.
- Insurers Balk At The Prevalence of Narcotics In The Workers’ Comp SystemThe prevalence of narcotic prescriptions in the workers’ compensation system is receiving a lot of attention currently because insurers are becoming uncomfortable with assuming the cost of these prescriptions when it comes to long term use.
- A Q&A Guide to Doing Business in AngolaAn overview of key developments affecting doing business in Angola and an introduction to its legal system for foreign investment, currency regulations and incentives, business vehicles and relevant restrictions and liabilities. It provides short overviews on the laws regulating employment relationships including redundancies and on competition law, data protection, product liability/safety, taxation/tax residency and IP rights over patents, trade marks, registered and unregistered designs.
- Bus Driver’s Injuries Are Compensable Though the Injury Occurred At HomeA New Jersey Bus Driver was awarded workers’ compensation by a judge after her claim for benefits after experiencing an accident where she tripped and fell, breaking her foot, was initially denied.
- Assembly Bill 10: Hope for Low-Wage WorkersCalifornia’s minimum wage was set at $8.00 per hour in 2008 and has since not been changed for the last six years. However, Assembly Bill 10 could change all of that.
- Employment and Employee Benefits in Bulgaria: a Q&A GuideThis Q&A gives an overview of the key practical issues including: permissions to work; contractual and implied terms of employment; minimum wages; restrictions on working time; illness and injury; rights of parents and carers; data protection; discrimination and harassment; dismissals; redundancies; taxation; employer and parent company liability; employee representation and consultation; consequence of business transfers; pensions; IP; restraint of trade agreements and proposals for reform.
- Employee Share Plans in Bulgaria: Regulatory OverviewThis guide offers a high level overview of the key issues including, whether share plans are common and can be offered by foreign parent companies, the structure and rules relating to the different types of share option plan, share purchase plan and phantom share plan, taxation, corporate governance guidelines, consultation duties, exchange control regulations, taxation of internationally mobile employees, prospectus requirements, and necessary regulatory consents and filings.
- Tyson Foods Inc. to Pay $4 Million Penalty after Toxic Chemical ReleasesTyson Foods Inc. has been penalized in the amount of $4 million after harmful chemicals were accidentally released in different facilities in four states. Due to the chemical exposure several employees were injured and one died. Additionally, risk management practices will need to be reevaluated.
- Temporary Workers Could Be Entitled to Equivalent Payment Like Permanent Employees - GermanyIn several cases the Federal Labor Court (BAG) should have decided that temporary workers could be entitled to a higher salary for their work.
- Vacations for Pregnant Employees - ChinaPregnant employees rights are protected with special care. There are six different leaves for them during pregnance.