India Law Schools
Comprehensive Directory of Law Schools in India in Alphabetical Order
India Law Schools
- Ahmedabad - Gujarat University - Law College
- Aligarh - Aligarh Muslim University - Department of Law
The faculty of Law, AMU, Aligarh has been ranked sixth amongst the top ten faculties of law in India. About 15 Ph.D.'s in law have been awarded during 1991-2000. The faculty is successfully running its 5 year B.A. LL.B. (Hons) Integrated course, based upon continuous assessment programmes. It held III position in all India Moot Court Competition organized in Jodhpur. Currently the faculty is working on a project on "Environmental Law " in collaboration with NLSU, Bangalore.
- Allahabad - Allahabad University - Faculty of Law
Allahabad University has always occupied an esteemed place among the universities of India for over a century now. Established on 23rd September 1887, it is the fourth oldest university of India after Calcutta, Bombay and Madras University.
- Amravati - Amravati University - Faculty of Law
This University geographically covers the western Vidarbha belt (i.e., five districts – Amravati, Akola, Yavatmal, Buldhana and Washim) of Maharashtra State. The University, in its small span of two decades, has contributed in many ways for economic, social and cultural upliftment of the society by offering quality education. The Motto of this University is – “Education for Salvation of Soul’’
- Amritsar - Guru Nanak Dev University - Department of Law
- Anantapur - Shri Krishna Devaraya University - Department of Law
Shri Venkateswarapuram, Anantapur, Phone: +91 8554 -255 486
The Department was started in S.V.University in the year 1970. Later, it was shifted to the Anantapur P.G.centre in 1973-74. Only B.L. course was offered and the classes were conducted in the Arts College Building in the Town. From 1976-77, classes were conducted at the university Campus. The Department was allotted an exclusive building in 1982. M.L. (Constitutional Law ) and the M.L. (Criminal Law) Degree programmes were started in 1985 and 1994 to meet the growing regional requirements.
- Assam - NEF Law College
G.S. Road, Near Bora Service, Ulubari, Guwahati, Assam 781007, Phone: +91 361 2523372 / 2452424
NEF Law College will not only imbibe the tradition of multidisciplinary approach to the legal studies and research but also will make a genuine endeavour to propagate such approach to both the privileged and unprivileged learners and researchers of law and jurisprudence and thus strive to emancipate such interdisciplinary culture from the elitist dogmatism and carry the same to the grassroots level of the society. The Institution will earnestly aspire to strengthen the foundation of democratic and social values in our young generation and mould them into "social engineers" who will work towards building a "new India".
- Bangalore - Bangalore University - Faculty of Law
Bangalore University has completed forty one years of fruitful existence and has come to be hailed as one of the largest universities of Asia. Though original intended to be a federal university, it has eventually emerged as an affiliating University. The University has been accredited in 2001 by NAAC and has received Five Star Status. Academically, the university is structured into Six faculties- Arts, Science, Commerce and Management, Education, Law and Engineering.
- Bangalore - National Law School of India University
The idea gained strength in the Legal Education Committee of the Bar Council of India and eventually the BCI demanded a deemed University status from the University Grants Commission.Law LibraryLegal Publications
- Bareilly - Bareilly College - Law Department
It is a matter of great pleasure that the College has added a number of new feathers in its cap in academic field. New subjects like Environment Science, Electronics and Computer Science, Office Management and other vocational subjects which are certainly job oriented are being run efficiently and effectively. Now college is successfully on move with seven faculties Arts, Science, Commerce, Law, B.Ed., B.B.A.& B.C.A.
- Baroda - Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda - Law Department
- Berhampur - Berhampur University - Law College
The university has a wide area under its jurisdiction comprising the districts of Ganjam, Gajapati, Koraput, Rayagada, Nowrangapur, Malkangiri, Phulbani and Boudh. Eleven Govt. colleges, sixty two non Govt. colleges and twenty six professional technical colleges are affiliated to the university (as on 30.11.01). To the credit of the university these institutes cater to the need of students in various subjects and disciplines such as Arts, Science, Commerce, Law, Education, Medicine, Engineering, Pharmacology, Homoeopathy, Ayurveda, Nursing, Military Science, Library Science and Fine Arts.
- Bhagalpur - Bhagalpur University - Law College
- Bhavnagar - Bhavanagar University - Faculty of Law
- Bhopal - Barkatullah Vishwavidyalaya - Department of Law
- Bhubaneshwar - Utkal University - Department of Law
- Bodh Gaya - Magadh University - Law Department
- Calcutta - University of Calcutta - Faculty of Law
- Chennai - Tamil Nadu Dr. Ambedkar Law University Law LibraryLegal Publications
- Chepauk Madras - University of Madras - Department of Legal Studies
Centenary Buildings, Chepauk Madras,
- Cochin - National University of Advanced Legal Studies (NUALS)
- Coimbatore - Bhartiyar University - Department of Law
Maruthamalai Road, Coimbatore, Phone: +91 422-2422222,
- Darbhanga - L.N. Mithila University - Department of Law
- Darjeeling - North Bengal University - Law Department
Raja Rammophanpur Dis, Darjeeling,
- Delhi - Amity Law School (ALS)
Amity Law School (ALS) has been ranked as one of the Top-10 law schools in the country in a recent survey conducted by India Today-AC NIELSEN -ORG-MARG. Amity Law School has the unique distinction of being the first Law School in Delhi to start a 5-year integrated LL.B (H) programme. The School was established under the Ritnand Balved Education Foundation (RBEF) to achieve world-class legal education in the country.
- Delhi - Delhi University - Faculty of Law
- Dibrugarh - Dibrugarh University - Department of Law
- Garhwal - Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University - Department of Law
Sri Nagar, Garhwal,
- Gorakhpur - Gorakhpur University - Department of Law
- Gujarat - Gujarat National Law University
Attalika Avenue, Knowledge Corridor, Koba Gandhinagar, Gujarat 382007, Phone: +91-79-23276611
The GNLU Act 2003 proclaims, " shall be to advance and disseminate learning and knowledge of law and legal processes and their role in national development: to develop in the students and the research scholars sense of responsibility to serve society in the field of law by developing skills in regard to advocacy, legal services, legislation, parliamentary practice, law reforms and such other matters; to make law and legal processes efficient instruments of social development; and to promote inter-disciplinary study of law in relation to management, technology, international cooperation and development." GNLU is also a nodal agency, mandated to enhance standards of legal education, in 32 law colleges of Gujarat (a state of India, located in the western India), catering nearly 12,000 students every year. GNLU aims to advance and disseminate learning and knowledge of law and legal processes and their role in national development. GNLU offers interdisciplinary legal courses in all the five faculties, namely B.A.,LL.B.(Hons.)B.Com.,LL.B.(Hons.)B.Sc.LL.B.(Hons.) B.S.W.,LL.B.(Hons.) and B.B.A.,LL.B.(Hons.) LL.M. (full-time and distance) Ph.D. programs in law &interdisciplinary fields and Foreign Law and Languages Programs.
- Gujarat - North Gujarat University - Law Department
Rajmahel Road, Gujarat,
- Gulbarga - Gulbarga University - Department of Law
- Gwalior - Jiwaji University - Institute of Law
- Hazratbal Srinagar - University of Kashmir - Faculty of Law
- Hyderabad - Nalsar University of Law
The Objectives of the University inter alia are: To evolve and impart comprehensive legal education at all levels to achieve excellence;To organise advanced studies and promote research in all branches of law; To disseminate legal knowledge by organizing lectures, seminars, symposia, workshops and conferences and; To promote cultural, legal and ethical values with a view to promote and foster the rule of law and the objectives enshrined in the Constitution of India.To liase with institutions of higher learning and research in India and abroad; To promote legal awareness in the community for achieving social and economic justice; To undertake study and training projects relating to law, legislation and judicial institutions.Law Library
- Hyderabad - Osmania University - Faculty of Law
Tilak Road, Hyderabad,
Legal studies in Hyderabad dates back to 1888 with the opening of the law and judicial test classes. They were abolished in 1923 when the Law Department was constituted in Osmania University. There was further expansion when the LL.M. Course was instituted in 1942. The Faculty offers both regular and evening programmes.
- Hyderabad - Pendekanti Law College
- Indore - Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya - School of Law
- Indore - M. B. Khalsa Law College
- Jabalpur - Rani Durgavati Vishwavidyalaya - Department of Law
- Jaipur - University of Rajasthan - Department of Law
- Jaunpur - Poorvanchal University - Department of Law
Zafarbad Road, Jaunpur, Phone: +91-5452-252344 /
- Jhansi - Bundelkhand University - Law Department
- Jodhpur - Jodhpur University - Faculty of Law
- Kalapet - Pondicherry University - Law Department
R. Venkataraman Nagar, Kalapet, Phone: + 91 413 2655179
- Kamrup - Gauhati University - Law College
- Karnataka - Kuvempu University Department of Law
Vishwaivyanilaya Karya Soudha B.R. Projects, Karnataka,
Kuvempu University was established on 29 June 1987.The Kuvempu university has its headquarters at Shimoga. Its campus is called Jnana Sahyadri, which means The Sahyadri of knowledge, quite aptly as university has jurisdiction over malnad districts of Shivamogga and Chikmagalur, through which the mountain ranges called the Sahyadri pass. It also covers districts of Davangere and Chitradurga.
- Kerala - Cochin University of Science & Technology - School of Legal Studies
A premier institution for legal education in Asia, the School of Legal Studies is located on the serene campus of the Cochin University of Science and Technology. It is located about 15 kilometers north of Kochi city, the Queen of the Arabian Sea. The School was established in 1962 as the Department of Law of the Kerala University. With the creation of the Cochin University in 1971, the School became its integral part. The School of Legal Studies is also a Centre for Studies in Intellectual Property Rights. It houses a Depository of Intellectual Property Rights Materials sponsored by the Department of Secondary & Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India. The School of Legal Studies is also a pioneer among University Departments in India to start a programme on Human Rights. With only a limited number of students in the new Five Year LL.B. (Hons.) Course to commence from the Academic Session of June 2006, the School of Legal Studies offers the greatest possible individual attention for any Five Year LL.B. (Hons.) Course any where in India. With its huge library of resource materials and experienced faculty, innovative courses unavailable elsewhere in a single package for LL.B. students, is now available here.CLELaw Library
- Kolhapur - Shivaji University - Department of Law
The Department is still in the making. So far no full-time appointments have been made. Adv.(Dr.) Santosh A. Shah is working as Hon. Co-ordinator and Prof. V. P. Navare is working as Hon. Addl. Co-ordinator. The distinguished members of teaching faculty in affiliated Law Colleges and some distinguished lawyers are associated with the Department as visiting faculties.
- Kolkata - WB National University of Juridical Sciences
The objectives of the University inter alia are to: advance and disseminate learning and knowledge of law and legal processes and their role in national development - promote legal knowledge and to make law and the legal process efficient instruments of social development. develop in the student and research scholar a sense of responsibility to serve society in the field of law by developing skills with regard to advocacy, legal service, legislation, law reforms and the like - promote inter-disciplinary study of law in relation to management, technology, international cooperation and development.Law Library
- Kottayam - Mahatma Gandhi University - Law College
Priyadarshini Hills, Kottayam, Phone: +91 481 2731050
- Kurukshetra - Kurukshetra University - Department of Law
- Lucknow - University of Lucknow - Faculty of Law
Badshah Bagh, Lucknow,
- Mangalore - Mangalore University - Law Department
- Mumbai - University of Mumbai - Faculty of Law
MG Road, Mumbai,
- Mysore - Mysor University - Law Department
Crawford Hall, Mysore, Phone: +91 0821-2419361
- Nagpur - Nagpur University - Faculty of Law
- Nainital - Kumaon University - Department of Law
- New Delhi - ICFAI Law School
The new challenges with changed concepts and perceptions of business diversified legal issues cropping up from dynamics of socio-political and business economics have redefined the boundaries of legal education by integrating the local and international law with interdisciplinary approach. With liberalization and globalization, the priorities are being changed to steer the directions according to the needs. The expanded horizons of business and technologies have brought radical changes in providing the legal services to corporates, worldwide. More integrated interactions enlarge areas of law, new mindsets, new technologies and emerging laws such as intellectual property, commercial arbitrations, human rights, immigration and crime and competitive and comparative legal systems are created. Distinctive rigorous and qualitative law programs of academic excellence are highly required to face new business and legal environment.Legal Publications
- North Bihar - Bihar University - Department of Law
- Orissa - Sambalpur University - Department of Law
- Patiala - Punjabi University - Department of Law
The Department of Law was established in the year 1965, having LL.B. course to start with. Now the Department offers courses for the degrees of Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) and Master of Laws (LL.M.) apart from providing facilities for research leading to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). The University is running day classes for LL.B. (Three-Year Course) at the University Campus, Patiala and Guru Kashi Regional Centre, Bathinda and Evening classes at Bikram College of Commerce, Patiala.
- Patna - Patna University - Law College
The Patna Law College, established in July 1909, as a Government Law College and affiliated to Calcutta University, was transferred to the Patna University after its creation in the year 1917 under the provision of the Patna University Act 1917 and presently is a constituent unit of the Patna University.
- Pavate Nagar Dharwad - Karnataka University - Law College
- Pune - Asian School of Cyber Laws (ASCL)
Senapati Bapat Road, Pune, Phone: +91-20-25667148
Asian School of Cyber Laws is a global leader providing education, training and consultancy incyber law, cyber crime investigation and computer evidence analysis. Asian School of Cyber Laws works closely with students, professionals, academicians, multinational corporations, governments and law enforcement agencies all over the world.
- Pune - ILS Law College
The Indian Law Society was established in 1923 as a Public Charitable Trust registered under the Societies Registration Act. The Indian Law Society established the Law College in 1924, which has since then established itself as a premier institute for legal studies in India. In 2004, the ILS Law College was accredited the A+ level by NAAC. Set amidst a sprawling green campus in the heart of Pune, it offers students a holistic environment that encourages exposure to social, cultural, and physical activities that complement the top-of-the-class legal education imparted by the college.
- Pune - Symbiosis Law School Legal Publications
- Pune - University of Pune - Department of Law
Ganeshkhind, Pune 411 007, Phone: 91-20-565-6061
- Rahumali - University of Jammu - Department of Law
The Department of Law came into being in 1969 to impart legal education. Initially the department imparted instructions only to L.L.B. students but subsequently it adopted L.L.M., Doctorate in Law and Post Graduate Diploma in Criminology and Police Science. The Department of Law has an efficient regular faculty and the students are absorbed in teaching, judiciary, and other administrative posts. The post graduate diploma in Human Rights as well as 5 years integrated law course after 10+2 are on the anvil. In future the department is interested in initiating the post graduate degree course in Criminology and Police Science as well as various other post graduate diploma courses with the inter-disciplinary approach.
- Raipur - Hidyatullah National Law University Law Library
- Raipur - Ravishankar Shukla University - Law School
- Rajkot - Saurashtra University - Department of Law
- Ranchi - Ranchi University - Law College
- Rewa - Awadhesh Pratap Singh University - Department of Law
APS University is a teaching-cum-affiliating University with its jurisdiction over 65 colleges situated in the districts of Rewa, Sidhi, Shahdol, Umariya and Satna, besides 21 Sanskrit Colleges and 85 Sanskrit Schools spread all over Madhya Pradesh.
- Rohtak - Maharshi Dayanand University - Department of Law
- Sagar - Dr. Harisingh Gour University - Faculty of Law
- Santa Cruz - Goa University - Department of Law
Bombolim, Santa Cruz,
- Shillong - North Eastern Hill University - School of Law
Lower Lachaumiere, Shillong, Phone: +91 03 64 2721012
- Shimla - Himachal Pradesh University - Department of Law
Summer Hill, Shimla,
- Surat - Veer Narmad South Gujarat University - Law College
Vdhna Magdalla Road, Surat,
- Thiruvananthapuram - University of Kerala - Department of Law
- Tiruchirappalli - Bharatidasan University - Department of Law
- Tirupati - Sri Venkateswara University - College of Law
Chittoor, Tirupati, Phone: +91 0877-2248374
- Triupati - Sri Padmavti Mahila Vishwavidyalaya - Department of Law
- Udaipur - Mohanlal Sukhadia University - College of Law
- Varanasi - Banaras Hindu University - School of Law
S 8/265, F1, Khajuri, Varanasi,
In furtherance of the objectives of the establishment of Banaras Hindu University, the Faculty of Law of the Banaras Hindu University (later on named as Banaras Law School) has not lagged behind and since its establishment in the year 1923 has constantly played a significant role in revamping the legal education and is ranked within top ten Law Schools in India including National Law Schools.
- Vidyaranyapuri Warangal - Kakatiya University - Department of Law
- Visakhapatnam - Andhra University - College of Law
This College has been endeavoring to improve the standards of teaching and research to prepare the students for advanced study and research to prepare the students for advanced study and research at LL.M., and Ph.D. levels as well as to help them in building up their careers at the Bar.
- West Tripura - Tripura University - Department of Law