Understanding Patent Law 2013
June 28, 2013
CLE - Live Seminar
As the America Invents Act becomes part of current practice of patent law, you may think it is not possible to gain an understanding of this complicated field of law in one day. You would be incorrect. Whether you are new to patent law or are trying to refresh your knowledge of this field, this program will cover the key points you need to get up to speed. In particular, this program will cover all types of patent issues that may arise in the context of every day practice and business management. The morning discussion of fundamental patent principles, including what is patentable and how to prosecute and protect patents, establishes an important foundation for the topics that follow throughout the afternoon. Patent licensing, and patent issues that arise in the context of transactions such as mergers and acquisitions will be covered. In addition, why it is important to understand the patent landscape will be reviewed and how that understanding may lead to an assertion of your patent rights or a pre-emptive action against third party patents. A broad overview of patent litigation, including coverage of recent case law, will be addressed as well as actions in the International Trade Commission and U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. In-house counsel, general attorneys and business managers will learn to spot key patent issues that may face their clients and/or organizations and will learn what steps need to be taken next.
- What are the parts of a patent application and what makes something patentable?
- Learn about the lifecycle of a patent, from application-preparation through filing, prosecution, and issuance
- Examine the unique issues involved in patent infringement and litigation including claim construction, defenses, and relevant timelines
- Explore IP issues that may arise in mergers and acquisitions transactions
- Gain practical tips for patent licensing scenarios
Practising Law Institute
810 Seventh Avenue
New York, New York
United States of America