Utilities Law - US
- National Consumer Law Center - Energy and Utility
NCLC has a solid history of protecting and representing the interests of low-income consumers in the area of utility services. For over 30 years NCLC has used its legal and policy expertise to create and advocate for energy and utility policies that promote affordable prices and the efficient use of natural resources.
- Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE)
The Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) works to strengthen the United States' energy security, environmental quality, and economic vitality in public-private partnerships. It supports this goal through: * Enhancing energy efficiency and productivity; * Bringing clean, reliable and affordable energy technologies to the marketplace; and * Making a difference in the everyday lives of Americans by enhancing their energy choices and their quality of life.
- Public Utilities - Definition
A public utility is a business that furnishes an everyday necessity to the public at large. Public utilities provide water, electricity, natural gas, telephone service, and other essentials. Utilities may be publicly or privately owned, but most are operated as private businesses.
- Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act of 1978 (PURPA)
The Energy Policy Act of 2005 (EPACT 2005) Subtitle E contains three sections (secs. 1251, 1252, and 1254) that add additional “States-must-consider” standards to the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act of 1978 (PURPA).
- US Department of Energy - Power Utilities
In the power industry, energy efficiency involves getting the most usable energy out of the fuels that supply the power plants. At its best, energy efficiency in the power industry can lead to postponing—or altogether avoiding—the construction of new power plants.
Public Utilities and Services Commission by State
Organizations Related to Utilities Law
- National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC)
NARUC is an association representing the State public service commissioners who regulate essential utility services, such as electricity, gas, telecommunications, water, and transportation, throughout the country. As regulators, our members are charged with protecting the public and ensuring that rates charged by regulated utilities are fair, just, and reasonable.
- Public Utility Law Project (PULP)
Frequent loss of utility service by many low income households and rising energy prices prompted the Schenectady Community Action Program and the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York to form a joint project in the late 1970's called the Public Utility Law Project (PULP). The project was successful, and eventually PULP of New York, Inc. was incorporated in 1981 as an independent not for profit organization
- The Utility Connection
The Utility Connection provides links to 4,032 electric, gas, water and wastewater utilities, utility associations, organizations, news, magazines, utility financial resources, and related state & federal regulatory and information sites.
Publications Related to Utilities Law
- Avista Utilities - Blog
We've been here for a long time—more than a century, in fact. A lot of our families live here, too. They, and you, expect Avista to be a responsible corporate citizen, paying attention to the issues our customers and employees care about most. And so we do.
- Institute of Public Utilities - Publications
The Institute of Public Utilities supports informed, effective, and efficient regulation of the infrastructure-intensive network industries providing essential utility services – electricity, natural gas, water, and telecommunications. We fulfill our mission by providing to the regulatory policy community integrative and interdisciplinary educational programs and applied research on the institutions, theory, and practice of modern economic regulation.
Articles on HG.org Related to Utilities Law
- Recent Bankruptcy Court Decision May Illuminate Whether Electricity Will Be Considered a GoodI give the experimentalist’s answer to the very fundamental but very familiar query: “What is electricity?” His answer is naďve, but simple and definite. He admits at once that as to the ultimate nature of electricity he knows nothing. –Robert Millikan, American Nobel Laureate in Physics
- The Effect on Natural Resources and Oil Drilling in California From The Lifting of the Ban on Offshore DrillingThis article examines what will be the effect of the lifting of the ban on offshore drilling in California and shows why the “Drill Now” movement is not likely to produce a single extra barrel of oil from new offshore drilling platforms off the coast of California.
- Nigeria As An Emerging Market For Private Equity InvestmentsSince 1999 Nigeria has experienced a profound level of structural, political and economic changes that have made it one of the emerging markets in Africa. Nigeria has evolved to the point where there are excellent investment opportunities in multiple asset classes, including public equities, debt, and private equity.
- All Business and Industry Law Articles
Articles written by attorneys and experts worldwide discussing legal aspects related to Business and Industry including: agency and distributorship, agency law, business and industry, business formation, business law, commercial law, contracts, corporate governance, corporate law, e-commerce, food and beverages law, franchising, industrial and manufacturing, joint ventures, legal economics, marketing law, mergers and acquisitions, offshore services, privatization law, retail, shareholders rights and utilities.