Lawsuits for Car Accidents in Michigan

Website By Buckfire & Buckfire, PC, Michigan
Firm's Profile & Articles Law Firm's Profile & Articles
Phone Call (888) 797-8787Free ConsultationFree Consultation
Our Michigan car accident lawyers represent car accident injury victims and their families for automobiles that occur in the State of Michigan. These cases involve car accidents involving automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians. Many of our clients are from other states and are injured in a car accident while visiting Michigan. There are two main types of lawsuits that can be filed as a result of a Michigan car accident.

Michigan Car Accident Lawsuits for Personal Injuries

Under Michigan law, a person who is injured due to another drivers negligence while driving can file a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent drive and owner of the car. This type of personal injury claim seeks compensation for the actual injuries suffered in the accident. Claims include damages for pain and suffering, loss
of enjoyment of life, disability, and loss of future earnings. Frequently, our law firm can settle these cases with the negligent driver's insurance company after we obtain all of the medical records and other important documents. If we cannot reach a settlement with the insurance company, we file a car accident lawsuit seeking all of these damages. We have a tremendous track record of successful settlements in these cases and settle more than 95% of our cases before ever going to court.
Michigan Car Accident Lawsuits for No Fault Insurance Benefits

In addition seeking compensation for personal injury damages, a person injured in a Michigan car accident also has legal rights under the Michigan No Fault Insurance statute. For injuries arising out of a car accident, the injury victim is entitled to a number of benefits under Michigan law. These include payment of medical bills, lost wages, attendant care services, household services, and many other benefits. If the car insurance company denies these claims or fails to pay all of the claims, a car accident lawsuit can be filed against the insurance company.

Do You Have a Michigan Car Accident Lawsuit?

If you were injured in a Michigan car accident, you may have the right to file a lawsuit against the negligent driver and the insurance company responsible for paying your benefits. There are a number of factors used to determine whether you have a case and you need an experienced Michigan car accident lawyer to review your case and determine whether you can file a lawsuit. These factors include how the accident happened, how serious the injuries were caused by the accident, how much time was missed from work, and the type and amount of medical treatment provided due to the accident.

Is There a Time Limit for Michigan Car Accident Lawsuits?

You should be aware that there are strict time limitations for filing car accident lawsuits in Michigan. In general, you must file your personal injury lawsuit within three years of the date of the accident. For cases involving No Fault Insurance Benefits, the case typically needs to be filed within one year of the date of the accident or one year after benefits are terminated by the insurance company. There are some exceptions for cases involving minors, wrongful death cases, and other situations, but you need to discuss these with a lawyer as soon as possible. If you wait too long to contact a lawyer, your claim may be destroyed.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Lawrence J. Buckfire
Buckfire & Buckfire's Michigan personal injury lawyers represent victims of car accidents, motorcycle accidents, medical malpractice, dog bite injuries and attacks, slip and fall accidents, nursing home negligence, wrongful death, lead poisoning, and any other type of personal injury accident in Michigan.

Copyright Buckfire & Buckfire, PC
More information about Buckfire & Buckfire, PC

Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication, it is not intended to provide legal advice as individual situations will differ and should be discussed with an expert and/or lawyer. For specific technical or legal advice on the information provided and related topics, please contact the author.

Find a Lawyer

Find a Local Lawyer