Preference Relatives for Immigration Purposes

Preference Relatives or Preference Categories apply to family members who are relatives but not immediate relatives. There are a limited number of visas available to relatives who fall into the category of preference relatives. The government limits the number of persons who are issued visas by assigning a priority date to each relative who has an approved Alien Relative Petition.

The visas available to preference relatives are subject to annual numerical limits.

An I-130 is approved for a preference relative and the relative is given a priority date. Visas are provided to preference relatives according to their priority date and on a first come first serve bases. There are limited situations when a preference relative is granted permission to enter the United States before his or her priority date becomes current.

Preference Categories are as follows:

First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens (adult means 21 or older).
Second Preference (2A): Spouses of green card holders, unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents.
Second Preference (2B): Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents.
Third Preference: Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens.
Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Kyndra L. Mulder, Esquire
Kyndra L Mulder, Esquire has been an attorney for over 25 years. She focuses on United States Immigration and Nationality Law including criminal defense for the immigrant.

Kyndra L Mulder, Esquire files Alien Relative Petitions for United States Citizens and Permanent Residents who would like to sponsor relatives in foreign countries throughout the world.

Copyright The Mulder Law Office
More information about

Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication, it is not intended to provide legal advice as individual situations will differ and should be discussed with an expert and/or lawyer. For specific technical or legal advice on the information provided and related topics, please contact the author.

Find a Lawyer

Find a Local Lawyer