What to Do if an Uninsured Driver Hits You in Texas

Website By McMinn Law Firm, Texas
Firm's Profile & Articles Law Firm's Profile & Articles
Phone Call (512) 474-0222Free ConsultationFree Consultation
In Texas some estimates say that as many as 1 in 5 drivers are uninsured. Many in Texas drive without uninsured motorist coverage.

If you were hit by an uninsured driver you may be scrambling for answers on what to do next. It's required by state law that all drivers have a liability policy on their vehicle, but not all do. Experts say that the number of uninsured drivers on Texas roads may be increasing because of hikes in insurance premiums, and policy that makes it difficult for drivers to legally get back out on
the road.

Some motorists will drive even when it is not legal for them to get behind the wheel. Inevitably, some of those motorists crash.

If you're ever hit with a life event like having an uninsured driver crash into at an intersection or while switching lanes - there's a lot you need to know about going forward.

After seeking needed medical treatment, consider the following the steps as you move forward from your car accident. No matter the outcome, having a healthy body is important for life moving forward.

First, check to see what type of car insurance you have on your policy. One of the most important things to consider when beginning a claim is whether or not you have Uninsured Motorist Coverage. Without UIM coverage, it may be extremely difficult to secure the fund you need to seek adequate medical treatment.

Second, contact an attorney whether or not you have a UIM policy. There may be other types of coverage on your policy that could help your case. You should look for policies such as "uninsured motorist bodily injury" (UM or UMBI). Another option could be "Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) which would assist you in paying for damage done to your vehicle and other property involved in the accident.

You could have Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury (UIM or UIMBI) or Underinsured motorist property damage (UNDPD) which would be helpful if you are in a serious crash. Even if the other driver carries a policy, if your damages are significant there may not be enough in the policy to reset your life to the way it was before the crash. In the event of extremely serious injuries, the liability coverage on the other person's policy may not be enough. You should talk to your attorney about whether or not you have UIM coverage.

If you do not have any coverage such as the one listed above, you may be forced to sue the driver directly. Some reports have shown this to be a dead end. The issue arises due to the fact that, the reason why the driver may be operating the vehicle illegally in the first place is because he or she probably doesn't have the money to get out on the road legally.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Jason McMinn and Justin McMinn
Jason McMinn and Justin McMinn of McMinn Law Firm in Austin are dedicated to improving the lives of those injured in serious car accidents.

Copyright McMinn Law Firm
More information from McMinn Law Firm

Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication, it is not intended to provide legal advice as individual situations will differ and should be discussed with an expert and/or lawyer. For specific technical or legal advice on the information provided and related topics, please contact the author.

Find a Lawyer

Find a Local Lawyer