How to Apply for a Residence Permit in Greece Based on Civil Partnership

Website By Dafni Siopi & Associates, Greece
Firm's Profile & Articles Law Firm's Profile & Articles
Phone Call +30 (231) 3079293
According to No. 23443/2011 Common Ministerial Decision, third-country citizens are allowed to enter and reside in Greece, on the condition that they are mates of a Greek or an EU citizen, with whom they maintain a stable relationship duly proved. The above non-EU citizens have the right to stay in Greece for up to three months per semester without any conditions or wording, if they are holders of a valid passport or visa and they accompany or go to meet the Greek or EU citizen.

Non-EU citizens wishing to stay in the country for more than three (3) months, must apply to the Directorate for Migration Policy of the General Secretariat for Population and Social Cohesion of the Ministry of the Interior, within their authorized time of their legitimate residence in Greece, if they meet the following conditions:

a) They possess a passport or other travel document
in force.
b) They demonstrate the stable residence of the Greek or EU citizen in Greece.
c) They have a common home with the Greek or EU citizen.
d) They demonstrate in writing their stable relationship with the Greek or EU citizen.
e) They have full sickness insurance coverage.

As evidence of the stability of the relationship, can be considered the registered partnership or the existence of a common or adopted child of the applicant and the Greek or EU citizen. The stability of the relationship may also arise from the fact that they have joint long-term legal, social or financial commitments.

Based on the above, it is possible to obtain a residence permit in Greece, if the foreigner (third-country citizen) and the Greek or EU citizen enter into a civil partnership. Note that, under the Law 4356/2015, it is now possible for same-sex couples to enter into a civil partnership too. The contraction of the civil partnership shall be by signing a notarial authentic instrument by the parties concerned, which must then be registered in the registry of their place of residence in order to be valid. In order to sign the civil partnership contract before the Notary, it is necessary for the non-EU citizen to hold a valid visa (type C or type D).

After entering into a civil partnership and registering the notarial contract to the competent Registry, the non-EU citizen may apply to the competent department of the Ministry of the Interior for the issue of a residence permit. In this case, he must submit with the application the following documentation:

a) Copy of his passport with a valid entry visa, where applicable.
b) Certificate of registration of the citizen of the European Commission or a copy of the identity card of the Greek or EU citizen.
c) Certification of an insurance institution to cover the costs of hospitalization and medical care.
d) Documents proving the common residence (i.e. lease contract, accounts etc.).

The residence permit is granted by a decision of the Minister of the Interior, has a validity of one (1) year and can be renewed for another two (2) years under the same conditions.

Dafni Siopi is a lawyer in Thessaloniki enlisted in Thessaloniki Law Association since 2013. She has worked with major law firms and offices in Thessaloniki and Athens, having handled various cases mainly related to immigration, civil and commercial law.

Copyright Dafni Siopi & Associates
More information about

Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication, it is not intended to provide legal advice as individual situations will differ and should be discussed with an expert and/or lawyer. For specific technical or legal advice on the information provided and related topics, please contact the author.

Find a Lawyer

Find a Local Lawyer