How to Acquire Foreign Worker Certification

Website Provided by

When someone lives in another country or wants to move there, it is important to acquire a foreign worker certification. For a person seeking work in the United States, this is obtained through the Department of Agriculture for laborers with farms and other locations and the Department of Labor for most other persons.

The Foreign Worker Certification is important to seek refuge or work within the United States and other countries from American citizens. When the individual has skills that could be used around the world, it is imperative that the correct department has been contacted and communication has been initiated so that the worker is able to work within the other country. Some persons are only provided minimum wage rate as averaged through the Adverse Effect Wage Rates until so much time has passed at the job, but the certification permits him or her to seek other accommodations if necessary.

There are various specifications about working in another country, and anyone seeking foreign work certification should start the process early for consideration. When new requirements are imposed by the Administration of the country, this makes entering and working in the United States harder, and additional needs must be satisfied before the immigrant is permitted to enter the country. Then, he or she may be required to stay at a certain job, company or farm based on the application and certification that has been obtained through these processes. If any violations are incurred, it is important to seek the services of a lawyer.

The Process of Foreign Worker Certification

Some are able to acquire a worker’s certification through accessing forms online and then going to the corresponding departments and officials. However, most online websites for these matters only offer information that explains how to proceed and who to contact through email or direct phone conversations. Through the Visa program, a foreign citizen is able to obtain work in the United States and remain in the country. Many visas are temporary for work, education or travel. When they coincide with a job, the Department of Agriculture or Labor is utilized to provide the necessary communications with various companies or individuals.

Contact through officials in the United States require communication, an interview and then extensive paperwork to ensure the foreign citizen is afforded the opportunity to enter the country and work with a temporary visa. Once the foreign worker certification has been provided, the individual is able to work with a greater freedom and higher pay in most circumstances. However, changing companies or employers is difficult. The person may need to contact the Department of Agriculture or Labor once again if this is needed such as when the supervisor is abusive or the work duties increase without additional pay.

Obtaining the Certification

When a foreign citizen has been in contact with the correct authorities in his or her country, he or she is then provided with the opportunity to travel to the United States. While in America, he or she then is interviewed and goes through several other processes before a temporary visa is provided. Most of these procedures involve a mass amount of paperwork to include the interview. A temporary labor certification is provided through agricultural units, and others may be provided by the Department of Labor when not employed through agricultural jobs. Various inspections are performed with the job location and then the
corresponding departments and officials give the certification to the foreign citizen.

Once the foreign citizen has worked for a certain amount of time, that may differ based on the year and any regulation changes, he or she is provided with a foreign worker certification. This is often after safety protocols are inspected as well as working conditions and a review of the individual’s job tasks have all been completed. The employer is interviewed about various aspects of the situation, and an assessment is finalized for the certification. After these processes, the temporary document becomes a full-fledged file with all rights behind it. At this point, the individual is able to obtain a greater amount of freedom and pay depending on the industry he or she has become attached to once in the country.

Legal Foreign Worker Certification Help

If a foreign worker certificate has not been received when all processes have been followed and completed, it may be necessary to hire a lawyer. Legal representation may need to communicate with the officials in the Department of Labor or Agriculture to determine what has happened.


Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication, it is not intended to provide legal advice as individual situations will differ and should be discussed with an expert and/or lawyer.

Find a Lawyer

Find a Local Lawyer