Six Nursing Homes in Connecticut Fined for Abuse and Neglect of Residents

Website By d'Oliveira & Associates, Rhode Island
Firm's Profile & Articles Law Firm's Profile & Articles
Phone Call (800) 992-6878Free ConsultationFree Consultation
Law Firm in East Providence: d'Oliveira & Associates
By recognizing the signs of abuse or neglect, one may be able to prevent nursing home abuse in their loved one.

Connecticut has fined six nursing homes for various violations, which jeopardized patient safety, including one case in which a resident was struck by a nursing home employee resulting in broken bones. According to a news report, one nursing home was fined in two instances. In one case, a resident with Parkinson’s disease and dementia fell and suffered a broken collarbone and fractured right
hip after falling in the bathroom. A nurse left the resident alone in the bathroom even though he needed help standing.

In another case, a resident with hypertension was hospitalized for dehydration and severe renal failure. Investigators found that the resident, who was at risk for dehydration, wasn’t properly monitored for warning signs. Yet another patient with bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder suffered cuts to the mouth and forehead and a broken tooth after a licensed practical nurse struck him several times. Another facility was fined after a nurse aide offered to secure illegal drugs for a resident in exchange for sexual favors. If you believe a loved one has been subjected to this heinous behavior, please do not hesitate to call a nursing home abuse lawyer to help you understand your legal rights.

What Types of Abuse Are Common in Nursing Homes?

Elder abuse in nursing homes is shockingly common. This type of mistreatment of the most vulnerable people in our society can come in many forms. Here are a few examples:

- Nursing aides or other staff members inflicting physical pain or injury on an older adult.

- Sexually abusing an elderly person by touching, fondling, having intercourse or engaging in other sexual activity. This type of abuse often occurs when the older adult is unable to understand, unwilling to give consent or is physically threatened or coerced to participate.

- Emotional abuse with verbal assaults, threats of abuse, harassment or intimidation.

- Confinement by restraining or isolating an older adult.

- Neglecting nursing home residents by failing to provide them with life necessities including food, clothing, shelter, and medical care.

- Willfully depriving an older adult of medication, medical care, shelter, food or other physical assistance.

- Financially exploiting an older adult by stealing money or other items from them.

How Can I Tell If a Loved One Has Been Abused or Neglected?

There are a number of warning signs of abuse and neglect. If your loved one is in a nursing home, it is important that you look out for physical signs of abuse such as bruises, pressure marks, broken bones, cuts and burns. Some of the symptoms of emotional abuse include depression, sudden change in behavior, withdrawal from normal activities and strained/tense relationships. Sudden changes in financial situations such as unusual withdrawals from bank accounts or charges on credit cards, could be indicative of financial abuse. When an elderly nursing home resident is neglected, they could display symptoms such as bedsores, unattended medical needs, poor hygiene and unusual weight loss.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Paul d’Oliveira
Attorney Paul d’Oliveira has been practicing personal injury and disability law for over 29 years. He started his personal injury law practice in 1989 with two offices in Fall River, MA and East Providence, RI. Today his firm has 15 offices in RI and Southeastern, MA.

Copyright d'Oliveira & Associates - Google+
More information from d'Oliveira & Associates

Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication, it is not intended to provide legal advice as individual situations will differ and should be discussed with an expert and/or lawyer. For specific technical or legal advice on the information provided and related topics, please contact the author.

Find a Lawyer

Find a Local Lawyer