Family Immigration Law

Lawyers Guide

A United States citizen can petition to have a family member become a legal permanent resident. The most common example of this is requesting citizenship for a spouse. The guidelines for this varies on a case by case basis. Learn more.

  • ContentBoth Me and My Spouse Are in the U.S. on Visas, Can We Get a Divorce Here?

    Many people travel to the United States on visas every year. These are individuals who may plan to stay in the United States for a certain amount of time, such as when they are finished traveling or attending school, or they may be individuals who eventually have a plan to immigrate permanently to the United States. While they are in the country, they may decide to change their marital status.

    Read more
  • ContentCan a Family Member's Nationality Grant Someone Else U.S. Citizenship

    It is quite common for people to want to help their relatives gain US citizenship. But, is it just as easy as marrying someone and they immediately have citizenship? Not anymore.

    Read more
  • ContentHow Do I Help My Spouse in Another Country Become a Legal Permanent Resident?

    The United States provides a special visa for a person who is engaged to a United States citizen to come to the United States to get married. However, the process works a little differently when the spouses marry abroad.

    Read more
  • ContentIs It Legal to Visit America to Have a Baby in Order to Create Citizenship?

    Once known pejoratively as “anchor babies,” the children of foreign nationals born on American soil have traditionally had a right to automatic citizenship. As a result, immediate family members would seek their own citizenship by virtue of the close relationship. But, after years of debate on the topic of immigration reform, are anchor babies still legal?

    Read more
  • ContentPetitioning for a Sibling to Become a Legal Permanent Residence

    United States citizens can petition to have a sibling become a legal permanent resident by following specific procedures. The citizen and the beneficiary must meet certain criteria in order for the sibling to legally enter the country.

    Read more
  • ContentPolygamy and U.S. Immigration

    If one member or a romantic couple already has at least one or more spouses already, it is possible that the United States Immigration services and policies may decide the person is not a qualifying candidate for immigration and citizenship. If the person is a known bigamist or polygamist, the country may automatically deny him or her naturalization.

    Read more
  • ContentWhat Is Deferred Action for Parental Accountability?

    On November 20, 2014, President Barack Obama announced the implementation of a new program called “Deferred Action for Parental Accountability” through an executive order. The program is similar to Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals and provides temporary immigration relief for otherwise law-abiding citizens.

    Read more
  • ContentWhat Laws Affect Mail Order Brides?

    As the Internet makes the world a smaller and smaller place, unusual new ways of meeting people have become increasingly popular. While personal ads placed in the newspaper used to be a somewhat embarrassing way of meeting someone, the explosion of the Internet made online dating sites almost the norm for arranging romantic encounters. Similarly, the Internet has also opened the doors to international romance in the form of “mail order bride” services. But what laws affect mail order brides?

    Read more
  • ContentA Bad Marriage is Not the Same as a Sham Marriage

    Marriage to a U.S. citizen is the most common way of getting a legal permanent resident status in the United States especially when the alien has been out of status in the country. Fraud statistics show that between 1998-2007 more than 2 million people have reported marriage as a means to gain residency within the United States.

    Read more
Find a Lawyer