A truck accident in Illinois is very different than your average accident. Not only can the truck drivers be held liable for injuries, but so can the trucking company that employs them.
Truck drivers and their companies must follow specific regulations. If these regulations are violated, you may be entitled to recover more in your truck accident claim.
However it is also important to know what to do after you have been involved in a truck accident in Illinois to ensure your case is protected and preserved.
5 Steps After a Truck Accident in Illinois
1. The first step is to call the police. It is very important you file an accident report, even if you think there is little or no damage. Not only is this required by law but it could be used as an important piece of evidence later on.
2. Seek immediate medical attention. Your health and safety are most important when it comes to an accident. Some injuries won’t appear until later on, so you want to be sure you are thoroughly checked out.
There may also be an underlying injury, such as internal bleeding, of which you are not aware. Seeking medical attention is the only way to know for sure the extent of your injuries.
If you refuse medical attention, it could end up being used against you later on in your case. It can be much more difficult later on to prove an injury was related to your truck accident in Illinois if you don’t seek medical attention.
3. Contact your insurance company and file a report. This is a step you don’t want to skip as it can also end up affecting the outcome of your case.
4. Remember you might end up speaking to the other side’s insurance company. Say as little as possible, even to your own insurance company. State the facts but don’t elaborate on details. You also don’t want to say too much to the truck driver or any witnesses to the accident. It is best to keep conversations to a minimum.
5. Call a local accident lawyer who specializes in truck accidents. A truck accident in Illinois is a very different type of case than a passenger car accident, with more complicated liability issues, requiring special knowledge. A Chicago truck crash lawyer will understand the unique circumstances of this type of personal injury claim and will be better able to help you with your case.
5 Steps to Take After a Truck Accident
There are 5 important steps you should take after a truck accident in Illinois. A Chicago truck crash lawyer can help you with your case.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Barry G. Doyle
Mr. Doyle is a frequent writer and speaker on topics relating to personal injury law and civil procedure. He is a former Adjunct Professor of Law at Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, has spoken and/or presented papers at continuing legal education seminars for lawyers on the topics of accident reconstruction, proof of causation in personal injury cases, wrongful death litigation, and insurance bad faith claims.
Copyright Law Offices of Barry G. Doyle, PC
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication at the time it was written. It is not intended to provide legal advice or suggest a guaranteed outcome as individual situations will differ and the law may have changed since publication. Readers considering legal action should consult with an experienced lawyer to understand current laws and.how they may affect a case. For specific technical or legal advice on the information provided and related topics, please contact the author.